Pages

Monday, 12 April 2010

Tutorial - Doily Bowl

I was surfing the web a while ago and came across bowls made from doilies.

I don't have the patience to knit one so I had this idea to use pre-existing doilies and some fabric stiffener. So that is exactly what I did.
There's how I did it.
What you'll need
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
  • A doily
  • Fabric stiffener
  • Embellishments
  • A bowl for draping
I poured a small amount of fabric stiffener in old container, I didn't want the bowl to be too stiff so I added a bit of water.


I dipped the doily in the mixture and then I draped the doily over the back of my bowl and allowed it to dry overnight.
If you are worried about to getting glue all over the bowl, cover the back in cling film [good luck with that!!!;)]. 
Once my bowl was dry, I cut out a small circle of fabric or card and stuck it to the bottom of the doily bowl.Then I laced a matching ribbon through the lacy edge.


Here's a link to a more detailed tutorial on how to transform a doily into a pretty bowl.
http://www.designspongeonline.com/2008/06/diy-project-janes-doily-bowl.html




Till next time,Cheerio and God bless
Sonya

3 comments:

  1. So cool - thanks for the tutorial! I always wondered how to do this.

    Following your blog - emmanemhandmade from swapbot

    http://emmanemhandmade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma, checked out ur blog, great stuff!!! Am following by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possibly need to take a break from blog reading to go try this immediately -FAB idea ! X

    ReplyDelete