Pages

Monday, 19 April 2010

52 Weeks of Baking - Week Three

I decided for week 3 to bake French Macaroons. I have never had a French macaroon before but I've seen pictures of them on the web and they look fab. I have also read that they can be tricky to get right. Personally, I like a challenge but I do find it hard following recipes to the letter.
Looking through several recipes and learning the difference between the Italian and French method. I took stock, got my ingredients and was rearing to go. 
Alas, problems before I had even started -
  1. I bought a bag of 100g ground almond, the recipe required 125g -  Ooops!
  2. Wasn't sure if confectioner or fine sugar was the same as icing sugar
  3. Didn't get any cream of tartar
  4. Used 3 egg whites, the recipe asked for a 100g of egg white
  5. Had no egg white powder
I followed the recipe, I found ages ago but cant remember the link. I think I might have scaled it down for a quick read. So if anyone recognises this recipe, could you let me Know so I can post the link tanx.
below is the recipe I used:
125g. almond powder

225g. icing sugar sifted
100g. egg whites 
5 g     egg white powder
1/4    tsp cream of tartar
70g.  granulated or caster sugar
Method:




  1. pulse icing sugar and almonds in food processor and sift
  2. whisk eggs with egg powder and cream of tartar till white & foamy
  3. keep mixing whites on high speed until the eggs increase in size and soft peaks form
  4. add sugar a tablespoon at a time but drop it in slowly, mix well.
  5. add the dry ingredients
  6. fill pastry bag with a medium plain nozzle and pipe small balls onto a baking tray lined with parchment. 
  7. leave out to dry for 20 mins. 
  8. bake at 150 degrees for 13 mins.
I have included some pictures below 
I had this crazy idea to bake the macaroons in cupcake paper, don't ask!  
I tested one of the baked macaroon after the required baking time and it had develop a hard shell but was mushy inside. I've never had a macaroon before so couldn't tell if this was OK.  
Then I baked it for a few more minutes, big mistake, the colour looked burnt on the outside. 
The middle was very sticky and came apart. The colour looked better on the inside
I managed to sandwich two halves together and got them looking a bit presentable. However, they were yummy but a bit too sweet for me but the kids loved them [I think its the sugar talking ;D]
I will definitely try to bake macaroons again. I might substitute the almond nuts as I'm not big on almonds or try these recipes below.


Mini Pistachio and Chocolate Macaroons
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5143/mini-pistachio-and-chocolate-macaroons
Creme Brulee French Almond Macaroons 
//www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/macarons-creme-brulee-creme-brulee-french-almond-macaroons-ru316017.html


Fig-Pecan Macaroons: http://myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1860059 

Pecan Macaroons: http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/womansinstitute_vol4/pecan_macaroons.php                                                                                                                                                 

I would love to hear all about your French Macaroon successes or disasters or if you have tried any of the recipes listed above. Till then, take care and God bless ;D

14 comments:

  1. I'm following now as part of Swap-bot. My user name is abyrunyan (so you can rate me).

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh yummy! I don't think I have ever tried a French Macaroon before. I do hope they turn out delicious for you!

    GoingTwinsane from Swap-bot - still following!
    I want more blogger followers swap

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following now as part of Swap-bot. My username is strandedhero.

    I've never tried making macaroons before, but I have heard they are one of the hardest things to make, and I've had a few cooking disasters myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I'm maferu from swapbot :D from the 'I want more blogger followers swap' !

    yummy macaroons

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower from SB
    noodleBubble- looking forward to a lovely read but not reading this post as am starving at the mo! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried to make macaroons but so much baking can be so hit and miss. Good for you for trying a difficult , temperamental recipe. LOve the colors!
    I'm Jaemac from swap-bot, by the way. I'm following you using both follow buttons (top and sidebar) and I also hearted your Etsy shop. We Etsyer's have to support one another! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so tasty! Now I want a maccaroon. :D

    This is blueskydei from the I Want More Blogger Followers swap on swap-bot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my name is Teresa (creationsbytee) from Swap Bot's I want more blog followers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried to make macaroons, but I do happen to have a big bag of ground almonds ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are incredible! I've been trying to cook more for my family, so I'll have to try these.

    APlusAmigurumi from swap-bot following your blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great!
    Danielle
    (DanielleJess Swap-Bot)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh! They look so good and a 52 week baking challenge. Good Luck!
    -dlyn67 @ swap-bot

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the paper cups are a nice touch!

    Sorry I am a couple of days late on the blogger swap. It's been a very hectic week and it completely slipped my mind!

    rhonnifer @ swap-bot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am following you from swap bot! I am sorry it took me so long I was confused and accidentally missed some people I was supposed to follow.

    ReplyDelete